Saturday, February 5, 2011

26.2 before 13.1

I presume normally runners run 1/2 marathons before they run fulls. I think I was afraid of hating the 1/2 marathon and not wanting to run a full so I jumped into the full.

I ran Rock & Roll full marathon in June 2010 and I loved it. My training wasn't super disciplined however I had worked up to a 23 miler so mentally I knew I could complete 26.2 as long as my nutrition was good and that I didn't have a fluke of a bad race. Oddly enough the most painful part of the race was a major cramp in my shoulder which had me shed some tears. I must have unknowingly been holding tension there which came to a peak at the end.

I signed up for Carlsbad Marathon in October and I struggled to get my mileage up. I got up to 10 miles in November and then my training plummeted after Thanksgiving and then getting sick. I decided to run the 1/2 marathon instead. With my longest run being 6 miles prior to the race I finished in 1:58. I'm happy with my time and of course I have regrets for not training for the race.

Now I'm thinking whats next? I've loved running lately and I'm open to other things. Maybe an off-road marathon? Maybe a triathlon? I would love any recommendations.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Wow! You updated your blog! How about a triathlon...I'm working on my swimming and would be down to do one. What do you think...there are several coming up.