Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

One of the kayak gals insists on parking in the furthest parking lot from the dorms, taking up three spots, and pointing down-hill. Security has asked her repeatedly why she parks like that. She parks on the hill because its easier to jump start that way (doesn't involve physical pushing). Her starter is going and has limited starts left in it. So she likes to save them for when it's completely neccesary. Ideally, she would replace her starter immediatley. Having to park a quarter mile away from her room and roll-start her car isn't motivation enough; she will wait until she is somewhere on deserted terrain and her starter dies before she replaces it.

Some people like to ignore red lights, warning arrows, and beeps and sirens when something is wrong. She's obviously one of those people.

I'm also one of those people.

I ignored a few red lights, and warning arrows with my training this year. I waited until trials to realize I have to fix something or do something different.

Trials was a wake up call. I didn't do as well as I hoped; but "hope" is not a training or racing method.

Trials could have been worse. Luckily I did decent enough to hopefully progress to further chances. I will know more this afternoon.

I'm not taking this experience negitively. I'm taking it as a motivaton; a huge kick in the ass. A kick in the ass with a steel toed boot. A kick in the ass from Ramon "Diamond" Dekkers with a steel toed boot. A pretty fucking hard kick, okay?

I need to train harder. I need to focus more. I need to lose weight. I need to focus on my K1. I'm at the two minutes barrier. I need to break it. I need to break it for myself. At this point, I don't think I'm worthy of any team boat without breaking that.

Trials was the first regatta of the year and not the last. I have 3-4 months of racing season left and I vow to be on top before it finishes.

No comments: