Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back to training outside.



I raced kayaks on the US National team for eight years. I retired a little over a year ago. I don't miss the intensity at which I trained, the time it took, and all the stressful politics of qualifying for World Championship Teams.

I miss working with a team and striving for a miracle. I miss being in elite shape and feeling like a super hero. I miss traveling and competing in Europe.
I miss being around hundreds of athletes who have been doing the same thing you have all year, only difference is they're on the opposite side of the world.

I also miss training outside; in the water.

I love crossfit and its been incredible to have the opportunity to compete on the affiliate cup team at the Crossfit Games and place so high (7th place out of 98 teams). Something that occurred to me at the crossfit games was that all my training has been primarily indoors. I was beginning to feel stale.
I started incorporating an open water swim once a week in La Jolla Cove.

I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. Something about being in the water swimming with 50 other people, and having to deal with rip currents and high waves made me feel invigorated. Friday afternoons turned into my favorite time of the week.

Fridays at the cove 530pm...wetsuits optional. :-)

No comments: