Friday, August 7, 2009

the life of yoga

My mom took me to my first yoga class when I was 12 or 13 years old.

It was Bikram yoga.

Being the athletic 12 years I was, I was able to force myself into a pretty good Ustrasana (Camel).

My grandmother taught yoga on the Upper East Side of Manhattan back in the 1960's. My mom tells me she used to do yoga on the living room floor. I never got to see that. My Grandmother had arthritis, osteoporisis, and a knee replacements. However, when she was asked to do yoga, while immobile in a chair, she would scrunch her face up in a ball and then burst open into a pretty mean Simhasana (Lion Pose), sticking her tongue out all wild and rolling her eyes.

My Grandmother was 92 last December, or at least thats how old she is belived to be. Apparently they didn't keep track of age as well back in those days.
Knowing that it was uncertain how long my grandmother would have left my brothers and I went and visited her in Edmonds, WA last fall.

I had the privilege and honor of asking her questions and hearing her words of wisdom. I asked her about yoga.
"Do the sun salutations everyday", she said in her shaky voice.
My aunt, who was there too, said "Grandma thinks yoga is like praying", my grandmother nodded and agreed. I found that interesting considering my grandmother was very Catholic and attended church every Sunday until she couldn't walk anymore.
She also said "Patience." and "it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, I love you."

After my trip to Edmonds last fall I made a goal to go through Yoga Teacher Training the fall of 2010, to deepen my level of practice and to honor my grandmother.

My grandmother died yesterday morning peacefully at home.

My aunt has been taking care of my grandmother for as long as I can remember, which I appreciate more than anything. She has been her caretaker, her best friend, her daughter, her student...and she has shared everything she has learned from my grandmother with her family.

I miss her. I've had her with me in my yoga practice since my visit with her last fall and I will always have her with me during my practice, doing sun salutations right by my side. I have her jokes, her faith, her unconditional love, her fierce Independence, and wisdom.

She always said we can visit in my dreams so I will see her in Savasana.

No comments: